Hi Guys, I have an idea for you to use your oven. I know some of you cook, but I know many do not use the oven often here in Nigeria. I had the privilege of been a guest at a fantastic dinner at my friend’s house. I sat in a corner and chewed on the chicken bone after. It was that good. I enjoyed it and later made the dish in my way.
I am going to tell you how to make jerk chicken. The reason why this is such a great idea is that it would have less cholesterol than if you had to fry the chicken.
- 1 Whole Chicken (Cut into good chunks)
- 2 Scotch Peppers
- One large Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil (or any cooking oil you like)
- 1 Lime
- One small clove of Ginger
- Three buds of Garlic
- Black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Thyme
What I like best about this dish is that you can make it your own and use a variety of spices that appeal to you
- Prepare the marinade: These are all your ingredients. What I like to do is to blend the ginger and the garlic to form a paste, add this to 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil, and add a dash of black pepper and salt. Then I massage the chicken with this sauce. Allow to stay for a while to get the flavours down to the bone. You can leave overnight.
- Preheat the Oven: You should heat to about 220-degree centigrade or the six mark on the gas cook. In Naija English- the highest. Although you should use medium heat when you put the chicken in.
- Put the chicken in an oven pan: Slice onions in it, the scotch pepper and half of lime. Then put the pan in the oven, the chicken naturally has its juices, so this will come out as it cooks in the oven. Cover with foil.
- Allow to cook for about 20 minutes: You may need to flip it in 10 minutes, so it has the same colouring all round and to prevent one side from getting burnt. Remove the foil for the last 3 minutes.
Voila! Bye bye to Rice and Stew. Serve Jerk Chicken with Rice.